The Wellington Inn, Wellington
The town of Wellington was originally located farther north and west of the present community. When the Wellington mine closed in 1900, most of the buildings including houses, stores, churches, and a large hotel were transported by rail to Ladysmith. The Wellington Inn pictured here is still located north of Nanaimo and is one of the oldest pubs and hotels on the Island.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Unknown author (Electronic version published by Vancouver Island University, 1883)Robert Dunsmuir began building his fortune after he discovered coal at Wellington in 1869. Three Royal Navy officers provided the capital to develop the mine. By 1883, the Wellington Mine pictured here was producing so ...
Edwards, George; White, Joseph (Electronic version published by Vancouver Island University, 1983)Audio interview with George Edwards and Joseph White