Coal mine at Extension
In 1895, a major Dunsmuir coal mine was opened at Extension. The Dunsmuir empire at this time was headed by Robert Dunsmuir's son, James. Like his father, James Dunsmuir was the richest man in the province. He expanded the mining operations, opening mines in Cumberland, and buying out others in South and East Wellington. He reorganized the Wellington Mines as the Canadian Collieries Ltd. in 1910, and purchased the remaining Nanaimo mines in 1928.