Nanaimo harbour, c. 1920
Nanaimo's harbour has always been a centre of activity and source of revenue for the city. Coal was, of course, the most important commodity to pass through the port. Nanaimo was also a major distribution point for the northern half of the Island, especially after the completion of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway (E.&N. R.) in 1886. The large building on the right, centre of the photograph is the Post Office built in the 1880's. The clock tower was added later. Sections of the expanding Windsor Hotel line Front Street, and the Bastion stands on the left.