View north on Commercial Street, 1910
As the coal production increased in the 1890's and after the turn of the century, Nanaimo's population grew steadily. Many permanent structures were built along Commercial, Church, Bastion, and Wharf Street. In this photograph from 1910, buildings line both sides of Commercial Street with some landfill taking place towards Cameron Island. The Bastion is now surrounded by buildings. The Windsor Hotel (the dark building in the top, centre of the photograph) has been enlarged. In the top, left corner, one can see the two towers of the Provincial Court House.