Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialNanaimo Regionen
dc.coverage.spatialBritish Columbiaen
dc.coverage.spatialNanaimo Harbour, Regional District of Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, http://sws.geonames.org/6085773en
dc.date.accessioned2012-09-26T15:48:17Z
dc.date.available2012-09-26T15:48:17Z
dc.date.issued1868
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10613/445
dc.description.abstractIn 1862, the H.B.C. mining operations were purchased by the Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company (hereafter referred to by the initials V.C.M. & L.Co.) The company invested �40,000 to purchase the mines, machinery, buildings, and land, and spent another �60,000 to develop the mine works. Coal was mined on a much larger scale with San Francisco being the chief export market. In 1864, the company surveyed the townsite. George Deverill prepared the street plans for the new city, and lots were sold by auction in Victoria. In this photograph taken in 1868, St. Paul's Anglican Church can be seen just the right of the Bastion.en
dc.format.extent350kben
dc.format.mediumphotographen
dc.format.mimetypejpegen
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.publisherElectronic version published by Vancouver Island Universityen
dc.titleNanaimo harbour, 1868en_US
dc.typeImageen
dc.source.originalNanaimo / FC 3894 N3 N35en
dc.source.original9-5en
dc.description.note"Photographs courtesy of the Provincial Archives"en
dc.identifier.thumbnailhttps://viuspace.viu.ca/bitstream/handle/10613/445/NanSlide9-5.jpg?sequence=3en


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record