Nanaimo, c. 1862
By 1862, Nanaimo had grown to a population of about 500 white people. In 1860, the name had been changed from Colviletown to Nanaimo, In that year, Captain William Franklyn became the Resident Magistrate. He built "Franklyn House" which for years was a centre of social activities. Also in 1860, Rev. Arthur Browning opened the Methodist Church located at Commercial and Skinner Street. This church (centre of the photograph) was the first one built in town.