Pacific Biological Station: 100th anniversary
MetadataShow full item record
Audio recording of Gordon Miller's May 2008 presentation to the Nanaimo Historical Society about the history of the Pacific Biological Station, which is celebrating its centennial in 2008. Miller, Nanaimo Historical Society president and 30 year employee at the biological station, gives an outline of 100 years of history at the station in Nanaimo, starting from 1908, when the first buildings were erected at the site. Miller profiles two important figures in the station’s founding: Rev. George William Taylor and “Professor Prince” (Dr. Edward Ernest Prince). Miller also gives an account of other notable researchers who worked at the site, and the station’s directors throughout the years. New buildings, research vessels, and technology upgrades at the station are covered. Miller also speaks to changes in fieldwork practices, including the eventual involvement of women in the field during the 1980s.